Well, I’m about a week and a half late with the whole New Year blog post but I figure better late than never.
So just a little recap of my year. 2011 was the first year I started blogging about SQL. It was pretty rewarding and I hope to do more of it this year. When I got in the zone things just flowed but when work or other life distractions got in the way things slowed down a bit.
Last year I was able to learn a good bit about:
- bakeca incontri alcamo Powershell, Powershell, Powershell – I am still at the beginning of my journey but some of the things I have done so far have saved me so much time.
- Maple Ridge Access (unfortunately) – some critical systems got tossed my way that were dependant on access. I had to learn how to deal with them. It wasn’t fun but it was awesome once everything worked (for that week).
- http://cronacadelveneto.com/?baxmatyk=cerco-donne-per-solo-sesso&433=42 Big DBs – This year I got to work with some monsters. It’s been a good oppurtunity so far. It makes tuning even more fun.
- Indexes – used, needed, overlapping, and of course…fragmented.
- DBCC commands – Just when you think you know some of these, you learn a new one that totally changes how you work.
- Twitter – this is the first I have ever used twitter. I used to think it was the stupidest thing in the world. I started using it a bit and holy crap, a whole new world opened up. I can’t believe the people I have interacted with on there. SQL has a great community and I hope I can give back a little more this year.
- Double Hoping and SPNs – every DBA needs to go through this at least once.
- Extended Events – Profiler? Who needs that?
Overall it’s been another great year to be a DBA. I like what I do and just want to get better and increase the awesome meter.
This year I’ll be focusing a lot on powershell, puffy clouds of computers, 2012 of course, extended events, and probably get another cert or 3. I WILL also present 1 or 2 times this year. Something I have never done before. If you got advice, send it my way.
The other area I am hoping to dip more into is BI. I have a feeling that there will be a big industry swing once 2012 comes out for really good BI people. I’m hoping to jump on that wagon.
I will also be moving to the states in the near future. That is going to be a whole new world of adventure that I am ready for.
So 2012, bring it.